Travel Nutrition: 5 Tips For Fueling Up On-The-Go

Travel Nutrition: 5 Tips For Fueling Up On-The-Go

Travel Nutrition: 5 Tips For Fueling Up On-The-Go

Whether you’re traveling for business, sports competition or vacation, a little travel nutrition discipline goes a long way. It’s not easy. But it’s possible. With some planning and a little flexibility, you can stay YOLKED® on-the-go.

Sure, when you’re in your own element at home with total control over your nutrition, it’s fairly easy to stay on track. But, what happens when you travel for work or take a road trip?

Take it from us, you?ve got this! Working closely with all kinds of athletes who travel, including Aaron Gordon and Cari Lloyd, hear first hand what it’s like to face these kinds of challenges. But, it’s possible! And you don’t have to be a pro athlete to keep your diet from taking a dive next time you take a trip.

Listen up, frequent flyers and road warriors, we’ve got you covered with five simple strategies to stay on track!

Don?t Leave Home Without These 5 Travel Nutrition Tips

1. Plan Ahead

Planning ahead is key. Stock up on nutrient-dense, travel-friendly snacks like raw nuts & seeds, dried fruit, grass-fed beef jerky. If possible, pack a cooler to expand your eating options. Just note that if you?re bringing food through airport security, they?ll have to meet TSA restrictions which means they should be packed in a clear container and in the amount of 3.4 ounces or less.

If you?re worried about freezer packs at airport security, use a resealable bag with ice to keep food cool until you reach security. Toss the ice and then stock up on more at a food vendor in the airport!

2. Skip Breakfast

Skip breakfast? Wait…what?

It’s true, we like to consider breakfast as the “most important meal of the day.”  But, some studies show that a time-restricted intermittent fasting technique can be very effective for weight loss and overall health. And, it can be a beneficial protocol for travelers on occasion.

Here’s what intermittent fasting might look like when you travel: wake up, skip breakfast, save your first meal for around 1pm (or 16 hours after you ate dinner last night) and consume your last mean around 9pm (extending your ?eating window? to about 8 hours).

Provided you won’t be ordering from the all-you-can-eat room service menu when you arrive at your destination, this “intermittent fasting” approach is very simple and can also be a huge time-saver when traveling.

3. Stay Hydrated

Drink a lot of water. Your body needs water to function properly. Plus, drinking plenty of water can help to flush your body of travel toxins and believe it or not, it can help you crave less junk (when you’re not really hungry).

Staying hydrated can also help you to avoid the dreaded jet lag while you?re racking up all those frequent flier miles.

4. Eat Plenty of Protein

Protein can help you stay lean and strong while you travel around the globe. When you consume the right amount of protein for your weight, age and activity level, you can help to prevent the notorious travel-induced energy lag and enhance concentration, too.

Protein rich foods that travel fairly well include hard boiled eggs or cut-up pieces of chicken breast (if you have a freezer pack), raw nuts, jerky, edamame and your favorite protein powder of choice portioned out in a Ziploc bag.

5. Travel Nutrition: Stay YOLKED On-The-Go

Help your body utilize all that protein you just consumed with YOLKED! As protein?s perfect partner, YOLKED not only helps your body utilize protein more efficiently to build more lean muscle mass, it can also help you recover faster and break through plateaus.

With these simple tips, you have no excuse for falling off the wagon when you’re traveling. But, remember, you can’t control everything, especially when you’re traveling (2 hour delays, traffic jams, etc). So, aim to live by the 80/20 rule. For 80 percent of the time, stick to your ideal diet, but for the other 20 percent, loosen up a little and go with the flow.

Order YOLKED online, through Amazon, or find us at your local Vitamin Shoppe.